Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas


We had a wonderful Christmas day here in Virginia. Kate, Kenny, Kaylea (Kenny's girlfriend) and I started the day out with singing Silent Night and a candlelight service ending just at midnight. What a wonderful way to begin the celebration of Christ's birth. Even though it was a very traditional service, we enjoyed the simplicity of just hearing the scripture read from the Gospels.

Throughout the readings, I was thinking how overwhelmed Mary and Joseph must have felt with shepherds along with wise men showing up to see their new born, the serious threat of King Herod to one child, and the daily decisions they had to make on living and returning home...regardless of the fact that this baby boy was not conceived in traditional ways! I wonder how many meltdowns Mary had after the birth of Jesus?!? (Every mother knows what I am saying since I am sure 99% of us have experienced one or two -- especially after childbirth.)

But that just makes the birth of Jesus all that more special and inspiring! Could you have imagined if Jesus had been number 16 in the Dugger family of 18 children? There was nothing common about his birth.....it was extraordinary!

As Kate and Kenny get older, Christmas Day becomes calmer. I actually got up at 8:30, let the dogs out, had a cup of tea and watched a cute Christmas movie on Lifetime Movie Network. Mike arrived as Kenny was coming down the stairs at 10:00 am and by 10:30, we were eating cinnamon rolls and opening presents. It is still fun to watch the kids open their gifts -- even at this age!


However, there was one first this year besides having Molly our new Golden Retriever there. I finally broke down and bought an artificial tree! For years, we have either ordered a fresh-cut tree from a tree farm or cut our own. This year I was tired just thinking about the prospect of watering the tree everyday let alone getting it in the stand straight and stringing at least 750 lights. I was pleased to find a pre-lit tree that looked real (and yes, I purposefully made "holes" in the tree to make it look more real) and that was up and lit in less than 20 minutes. Next year it will even take less time since I won't have to read instructions. I was concerned about the 1,250 lights on the tree but with my hand-blown glass ornament collection, it really sparkles! So to my brother in Kansas who still goes with real trees and real needles -- I say "don't knock it until you try it." We did have a discussion on which tree smelled better -- his fresh one compared to my pine smelling diffuser!


All in all - it was a Wonderful Christmas.
I wish all my family and friends a blessed holiday season!!! May God Bless you all!

2 comments:

Chip & Chels said...

Merry Christmas Aunt Jeannie! We missed you all this year so much! Can't wait for the next Cheatham Family Christmas gathering:) You're all welcome to come to Taipei next year, you know:) Love you much and miss you lots! And yes, we'd love to Skype sometime soon when Kate and Ken are around.

courtney said...

That sounds so much like our family Christmas's the last several years....even down to the cinnamon rolls! Well, it sounds like every year but this year, of course. I missed you all very much on Christmas. But, as Chels said above, there's already talk about Christmas in Taipei next year...I think I'll be there!